Tuesday, April 5, 2016

1984 - By: George Orwell

"WAR IS PEACE.
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY.
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH."

If I'm completely honest, I only started reading this book, 1984, for my language arts class. It was laying around my room and I desperately needed to finish a classic for a grade when I got my hands on this gem. I had no idea what I was in for. 1984 tells the story of a terrifying Utopian society where working, eating, drinking, sleeping, talking, thinking, procreating...in short living, all are controlled by the state. Security cameras called telescreens located everywhere - including people's homes - monitor citizens' every move. History is "revised" constantly so that it best fits the story that leaders want to tell. Winston Smith dares to threaten the complete and utter control that government has over people, and the consequences are disastrous.

I started 1984 expecting it to be a somewhat dull, quite boring classic like many I have read, but I actually ended up loving it. If you're also in a panic because you need a classic done for English class, or if you're just plain ready to be terrified/entertained/completely hooked by a completely original and brilliant novel, then yeah, 1984's for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment